Residents have launched an all-out ‘Mac attack’ on a fast food restaurant slated for Safety Beach. Mornington Peninsula Shire has received more than 1200 submissions over plans for a McDonald’s at the intersection of Marine Drive and Nepean Highway, with many strongly against the proposal that’s due to go before the council’s planning services committee for debate on September 14.
Residents have also voiced their anger and opposition on the ‘Say No to BP fast food restaurant upgrade’ Facebook page. Elizabeth Bain wrote that the intersection was “not the safest” and was unsuited for heavier traffic; others noted that there were already two McDonald’s restaurants on Peninsula Link and another at Rosebud. Maria Flores said: “People come (to the Peninsula) to get away . . . we don’t need big fast food chains here.”
Writing on the Facebook Page, Nepean state Labor MP Chris Brayne said residents had made it clear they didn’t want a McDonald’s at Safety Beach, saying 84 per cent of the more than 10,000 people who had voted in an online poll were against the plan.“Small businesses are the lifeblood of the community and typically make long-term investments into our community both financially and socially,” he wrote. “And if you love Maccas, there’s one in Rosebud.” Mr Brayne said he would pass the results of the poll on to the council.
Mornington Peninsula Magazine reported last month that nearby business operators, including Laneway Espresso owner/operator Jim Mavrogiannis, were up in arms over the proposal. Mr Mavrogiannis said business operators in the Dromana and Safety Beach area were shocked and upset at the plan. “This development will have a huge impact on us as a food business,” he said. “Not only will it kill the smaller food outlets, it will increase traffic and pollution.”
The application also includes an expansion of the existing BP service station.