Weight loss shouldn’t be difficult if it is done correctly. Here are five rules to ensure that all the hard work you are putting in pays off!
1. Hydration — make sure that hydration is a priority by aiming to consume at least 2-3L of water every day (approx. 30-40ml/kg body weight). Thirst is commonly misinterpreted as hunger, leading to the consumption of more food than needed, when really a glass of water may be all your body is asking for. If you feel that you are hungry, have a glass of water first, wait 30 minutes and see if the hunger has subsided.
2. Exercise — even though diet is the key to losing weight, exercise also plays a role: 80% diet, 20% exercise. So to ensure that your body is happy and healthy, aim to move your body for at least 30 minutes most days. This can be a run, brisk walk or even some yoga or Pilates. The combination of cardiovascular exercise and resistance exercise will give the best results, as the cardiovascular exercise burns fat whereas the resistance builds muscle mass, which increases metabolism. Daily exercise also improves mood and increases energy and metabolism for the day.
3. Don’t cut out foods — if weight loss is the goal, yet you are depriving yourself of your favourite foods, it won’t work. Rather than cutting out chocolate altogether, it is better to include a small amount and enjoy it, or rather than trying a NO carb diet, try a LOW carb diet so your body is still receiving all the key macronutrients and will be less likely to crave certain foods.
4. Mind your portions — portion control is key. Society tells us that we should eat more through serving size at a restaurant to serving size on a packet; even the size of plates affect the portion we consume. Try using a side plate or reducing the meat or carbohydrate portion of your meal and increasing the low starchy salad or vegetables.
5. Don’t skip meals — the longer you go without eating, the hungrier you will be, so rather than skipping breakfast and lunch then eating your whole daily intake in a few hours in the evening, try eating 3-5 small well-balanced meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism going. Start each day with breakfast to kick-start your metabolism and boost energy levels for the day.
Want to take the guesswork out of weight loss and healthy eating? Try Be Fit Food! Order one of our low carb, high protein meal programs online today at www.befitfood.com.au, call 1300 2 MEALS or visit us at our Mornington store located at 2/49 Mornington-Tyabb Rd, Mornington.
Kate Save is an accredited practising dietitian, exercise physiologist and co-director of Be Fit Food in Mornington. For more info go to befitfood.com.au or phone 1300 2 MEALS (63257)